Director, Data Management and Dissemination Division, (Chief Data Officer) Reserve Bank of India
Mrs. Sushila Augustine joined Reserve Bank of India in 1980 after completing M.Sc in Statistics and has about 35 years’ central banking work experience in various departments of RBI. Mrs. Augustine worked in departments, like Department of Statistics and Information management, Bankers Training College (rechristen as CAFRAL now), Department of Banking Supervision, Industrial and Export Credit Department(now merged in Monetary Policy Department), etc.
Published few studies on the following areas:
- Construction of House Price Index in India-An Approach Paper, A Working Paper of the Department of Statistical Analysis and Computer Services, RBI (2004).
- Harmonized Index of Consumer Prices in India; A paper for discussion and placed on RBI-Web- site –October 2006
- Banking Development in Maharashtra – A Comparative Analysis with respect to the all India level at the two-days seminar on “Perspectives on Maharashtra’s Economy’” conducted by the University of Mumbai, on 11 th and 12th March 2004.
- “Optimizing Growth and Inflation in India- An Application of Control Theory:”-coauthored- Paper presented at the Fortieth Annual Conference of the Indian Econometric Society(TIES), at Institute for Social and Economic Change(ISEC), Banglore, during 13-15 February 2004.
- Impact of changes in Oil prices on Inflation and growth- some exploratory result relating to the Indian Economy"-co- authored- presented in the Annual Conference of the Indian Econometric Society(TIES), Amritsar during January 2006.
- Does Money Really Matter? – Some View Points Relating to the Indian Economy.”- Economic Times dated 11 th February 2004.
- “Estimates of Household Savings in India – A Critic”- Paper presented at the biennial Conference of the Indian Association for Research in National Income and Wealth on 15th and 16th December 2006 at Bhubaneswar and published in the Journal of income and wealth.
- “Surveys in Reserve Bank of India”- Paper was presented at Statistics Day Conference-2009 on July 2, 2009 in Mumbai, organized as a part of the Platinum Jubilee celebration of the Reserve Bank of India to mark the birth anniversary of Prof. P. C. Mahalanobis, the legendary statistician. Being Statistician, most of the time associated with IT and Statistics. For a long time, Mrs. Sushila Augustine was associated with the analytical work related to inflation forecast, various quarterly surveys like “Inflation Expectation survey of households, Industrial Expectation Survey, Consumer Confidence Survey, Capacity Utilisation survey of manufacturing unites, etc., which were being presented to the Top management of RBI, to help them to take informed important decisions for formulation of monetary policy in each quarter.
At present, Mrs. Augustine is in-charge of Data maintenance and dissemination division, where the core responsibilities include the data development and data dissemination from Data warehouse(DW) of the RBI. Data maintenance and dissemination division brings out Handbook of Statistics on the Indian Economy in publication form. Also Weekly Statistical Supplement, monthly RBI Bulletin, and Statistical Tables Related to Banks in India are being generated from DW. Data maintenance and dissemination division maintains the real-time data series of these publications in Database on Indian Economy(DBIE) and SAARCFINANCE database (SFDB) on RBI-website.